Family Law

Obtaining a Peace Bond

The Criminal Code offers abused family members another option-applying to the criminal courts for a peace bond. A peace bond is a court order requiring a person to keep the peace and to obey any conditions the judge sees fit to impose. To get a peace bond, you must "lay an information" at the police station or contact the Criminal Division of the Provincial Court. Then you will have to appear before a judge and testify that you are fearful for your safety or the safety of your child (or another family member) or your property. If the judge thinks your application is reasonable, a peace bond will be granted for up to one year under Section 810 of the Criminal Code .